Thursday 9 February 2017

A day in the life of an extra: Rachel Wilde


When I wake up…I don't have much of a morning ritual but if I have an early start I just shower, get dressed and go - I prefer to get ready quickly so I don't have to sacrifice my sleep! If I have more time I go for a run first thing in the morning and then walk my dog - Millie - before breakfast. 

On an average day… The great thing about SA work is that there isn't really an average day! When I'm extra-ing the schedule is always different and I get to go to loads of different locations. People you're working with always changes too so I’m always meeting new people.

In my downtime… I love spending time with my niece and nephew, who are 10 and almost 2. They're really handy for when I want to go and watch a kids film at the cinema! I enjoy catching up with friends and food is always involved! Otherwise I'm a bit of a geek and will quite happily spend way too much time binge watching a good TV drama or reading. 

What I love about my job… One of my favourite things about my job is meeting new people every day. I love getting to know people from different areas/backgrounds who I wouldn't ordinarily get to spend time with.

What I wish I could change about my job… The only downside can be the weather! You can be filming outside for hours and hours so if it's cold and raining it can be a challenge - especially if you're dressed for summer! Brrr...

My #setlife essentials… I usually take a magazine and a pack of cards - I got this idea from another extra - card games are a great way to get people chatting! 



The weirdest thing I’ve done for a job… There's a lot to choose from! But the first one that came to mind was a couple of years ago when I worked on Mount Pleasant. The scene was a fun run and I had to dress up as a frog - webbed feet and green face paint included! For 12 hours. So glamorous! 

What I do when I get home… It varies depending on if I'm working and what time I finish. Last night I went out for a meal with friends, this evening I'm working in Chester, tomorrow evening I'll be at an acting class in Manchester and then Friday night I'll be in the audience with my friend Melissa - also a BOSS extra - at the Britain's Got Talent auditions! 


What I would say to anyone who wanted to be an extra… It's so simple to just apply online to your local agencies (BOSS Casting if you're in the North West of course!) and see what happens. I joined just over three years ago and it's the best job I've ever had! 

No comments:

Post a Comment